Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Do I know you?

As I was walking down the street today, I made eye contact with a dapper man who smiled at me in recognition. (I often hear people mutter my name as they pass me on the sidewalk, but that is another matter.) So, fearful of offending someone I should remember, I returned his smile as he veered in my direction. He had the look of someone who used to drink and smoke heavily. He pressed his finger to the button hole in his throat and squeaked/wheezed: "I think I know you from somewhere, I am sorry you have to see me in this condition." I asked him where he thought he knew me from and we went back and forth a few times before he concluded that he did not know me. He smiled, apologized, spun on his heels and tottered away. I have the feeling I have not seen the last of this little man.

1 comment:

Shiloh Guy said...

Maybe he was an angel in disguise? You can never be too careful, you know. Better be really nice to him next time and perhaps slip him a sawbuck.

Or, maybe he was your former ward committeeman?

(Notice how I am trying to bait the OGWND with Chicago slang and politics? If he falls into my trap we'll have a lead on him and we can get my late wife's family looking for him!)