Thursday, March 30, 2006

Coming Out

I've been living a lie, but have yet to break up any dirty dishes and throw them away.

Sorry. Let me start over.

I've been living a lie. The SC does smoke - I have seen him with my own eyes. Yakimaniac is, well, let's just say that I read the book* and his name accurately reflects his true self. Even Shilohman has not veiled himself (notwithstanding the Biblical roots of the word "Shiloh," to aboriginal Americans the phrase Shi'i Loah meant "many, many words.")

I have not had a glass of wine since starting this blog.

Until I do, my wine consumption can hardly be called occasional which means "occurring now and then." There was a then, really. I distinctly remember the last glass of wine I had. Actually, it was a tumbler of wine, but why split hairs? The point is that, until I have another glass of wine, the title of this blog is deceptive. We all picture in our minds the SC pouring over his keyboard in his Fullerton garage, surrounded by a blue haze of cigarette smoke. You may have pictured me in an expensive suit lounging in a leather chair at some exclusive club (not Sandy's) sipping a fine Cabernet while dictating my blog entries to Ms. Perkins, my faithful and longsuffering personal assistant.

That picture is false my friends! Put it right out of your minds. There is no "fine Cabernet" in my hand. It is a quaich full of 16 year-old Caol Ila. Truth be told, I wanted to use The Frequent Imbiber of Single Malt Scotch Guy, but that name was taken. OGWND was my second choice.

Now you know. I feel better for coming clean and I hope you do too!




Ms. Perkins, please proof this draft, make a hard copy for the file and publish this post immediately. Then call the steward, my glass is empty.

*
(Woodbridge, S. The Secret Files of Clarence Wyngarten, M.D., Chicago: Crossway Books, 1979)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for setting the record straight. Saginaw Sister is asking that you kindly pour yourself a glass of wine soon, as she is enjoying a rather economical glass of something from Trader Joes as I write this little que sera sera. And, could you clafify the link just a little, we want to see the Yakimaniac book...or is that just the guy who used to pretend to be a doctor to us students back in the 70's?

OG said...

Tell SagSis to dump that cheap wine down the drain and meet me at Chevy's for an Ultimate Marguerita!

Anonymous said...

It's called a "Cadillac Marguerita", aka "Barbie's Swimming Pool"...or "Mom's Demise" if you believe the kids. When can we meet you at Chevy's? We will look forward to that day/night!