Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tom and Betsy and Patrick

The problem with using a blog to recount a lengthy episode in one's life is that the day to day commentary gets pushed aside. There ought to be two columns, one for the history lesson du jour and one for everything else.

This week our coffee triumvirate was breached. The three of us, on many occasions, have passed Patrick on our way to or from coffee. He goes to the same Starbucks we do, he works in the same suite of offices and for the same person. But we have never invited him to join us. Perhaps Tom and/or Betsy felt that inviting a new member to our coffee run would be a betrayal of the trust and solidarity that we have constructed among ourselves. Or, maybe they are like me and the thought never crossed their minds.

This week Patrick invited himself. He stopped by my office at half an hour before the appointed time and asked if it was time for coffee. I told him the correct time and, with a smile, suggested he join us. When the time arrived, Patrick was at Betsy's desk, ready to go. It was a sunny day so we eschewed the through-building shortcuts and used the sidewalk the whole way. I was vividly reminded of many walks to Joelle's Java with Bob and Linda and Charlie, fellow employees at my former employer. We went to Joelle's because they liked the place, even though I thought the coffee was sub-par. There was a daily trivia question - a correct answer got you a hole in your "buy 10 get one free" punch card. Between us, Bob and I could always come up with the answer. I miss those guys.

Patrick's presence changes the group dynamic and he still has to learn some of our coffee team etiquette. We will have to see how it goes.

3 comments:

Shiloh Guy said...

I'm not sure Patrick is sharp enough to realize he is unwelcome. What I suspect will happen is Betsy will finally have enough of him getting in the way of her spy work and will make him disappear. You'll never see him again!

Shiloh Guy said...

Dear OG,

By the way, I just wanted you to know that things went very well at Shiloh yesterday. In case you were feeling a lot of stress and anxiety about it. Great attendance and a significantly meaningful worship experience was had by all.

Your friend...

Anonymous said...

Be honest and, if you don't know that's fine, but I am serious and I am hoping for a genuine answer to this query. Did all the Starbucks stores across this great country of ours drop their "cinnamon twists" for the new, lighter, smaller, slightly more costly "cinnamon crisps"? You take one bite and it explodes into a million crumbs, so there may be a benefit to my waist line, but I do so miss the "cinnamon twists" and their heavy, twisted, braided, breaded fullness.

As a silly side note, it pays to proof read your comments before you send them into eternity. I almost left the words "cinnamon crips" as my legacy! This may have led to another gang turf war here in the coffee grounds.