Thursday, April 27, 2006

Just two little words

Not an hour from where our friend, the SC, sits in his garage smoking and pondering the imponderable is an evangelical center of faith and learning where people study God's Word and pursue His calling in their lives. This center offers degrees in theology, intercultural studies and psychology. The focus of their school of psychology is the integration of the Christian faith with today's mental health services.

These are noble sentiments, and I am certain the school strives mightily to maintain this focus. I am not an expert on these subjects. I know a psychologist who appears to be normal. And that first Bob Newhart show was pretty darn funny. But it seems to me that there is a certain amount of arrogance in any one human attempting to control or claiming to understand another.

Never forget: “therapist” is just two little words shoved together.

If SC were to hop on “the 5,” as the Californians like to say, and head north for a spell, he would come to the campus. With a little research he would discover that this school was the first of its kind, and that it grew out of a series of lectures given 45 years ago next month. Those lectures were given by a consulting psychologist from Tacoma, Washington. The school was named for this consulting psychologist.

But, SC will not find the consulting psychologist’s name on any sign or building.

6 comments:

Smoking Christian said...

I like your thoughts here. But, what is this place? Fuller, Talbot, Biola, Carl's Jr.?

Yakimaniac said...

As the "Internet Queen" I'm guessing Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena. How am I doin' OGGIE?

Mrs. Yak

Anonymous said...

Could it be the Clyde Narramore School of Psychobabble? I'm willing to bet on this one!

Smoking Christian said...

Oggie,

why won't you answer? It's Chuckie Cheese's isn't it?

OG said...

The Seattle Times is running a series on "the unchecked problem of sexual misconduct by health-care professionals."
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/licensetoharm/

Shiloh Guy said...

Dear OG,

I really don't have anything to say but I commented on everyone else's blog tonight and I didn't want you to feel left out.

Having been gone from Southern California for so long I can't remember what's along the Santa Ana Freeway so I can't guess what school you're talking about. And when I was living out there I avoided that freeway as much as possible because I noticed the traffic didn't move on it.